Effective Date: March 18, 2014
Using the Services indicates that you accept and agree to be bound by these Terms. Do not use the Services if you do not accept these Terms. We may change or modify the Services or these Terms at any time. Such changes, revisions, or modifications shall be effective immediately upon being posted in relation to the Services. Any use of the Services by you after we post changes to the Terms constitutes your acceptance of those changes.
I. No Legal Advice
The Services provide general information about the Lawyers' Committee and our activities. The information available on the Services is not intended as legal advice nor should you consider it as such. Although we welcome your calls, letters and e-mails, please keep in mind that merely contacting the Lawyers' Committee will not establish an attorney-client relationship with us. Consequently, you should not send any confidential information to us until a formal attorney-client relationship has been established. Any attorney-client relationship will be governed by a separate agreement.
III. Intellectual Property
All content, information, materials, text, images, audio, video, computer code and software appearing on the Services other than User Content (collectively, the "Website Content") is the property of the Lawyers' Committee or third parties. You may access, use and display the Services on a single computer or device and download and print copies of the Website Content only for non-commercial, informational, personal use, without modification or alteration in any way, and only so long as you comply with these Terms.
- Trademarks and Service Marks. All rights in the Lawyers' Committee name, trade names, logos, service marks, trade dress, slogans, and designs of the Lawyers' Committee products or services, whether or not appearing in large print or with the trademark symbol, belong exclusively to the Lawyers' Committee or its licensors and are protected from reproduction, imitation, dilution, or confusing or misleading uses under national and international trademark and copyright laws. You may make fair use of these marks in news, advertising and promotional materials, and in referring to our products and services (for example, in a newspaper article) without our permission, provided you follow standard trademark usage practices and provide proper attribution. The use or misuse of trademarks or any materials, except as permitted herein, is expressly prohibited, and nothing stated or implied on the Services confers on you any license or right under any patent or trademark of the Lawyers' Committee, its affiliates, or any third party. To obtain written permission to use the trade and service mark rights of the Lawyers' Committee, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
IV. User Submissions
Certain areas of the Services enable you to submit emails, or otherwise provide content, feedback or information to the Lawyers' Committee. You remain fully responsible for the materials that you provide to us, including without limitation information, stories, requests, creative works, pictures, photographs, letters, documents, demos, ideas, suggestions, reviews, concepts, methods, systems, designs, plans, techniques or other materials submitted, posted, uploaded, sent or otherwise transmitted to us ("User Content"). You agree not to provide User Content that:
- Infringes on the copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right of any third party;
- Is false, misleading, libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, hateful, or sexually-explicit;
- Violates a third party's right to privacy or publicity;
- Degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or other classification;
- Contains epithets or other language or material intended to intimidate or to incite violence; or
- Violates any applicable local, state, national, or international law, or advocates illegal activity.
If the Services permit you to post or publish User Content, you may only post User Content that is original and that you have the right to post. By submitting User Content, you grant us a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, fully sub-licensable license to publish, reproduce, distribute, display, perform, edit, adapt, modify, translate, create derivative works, make, sell, export, and otherwise use your User Content (or any portion thereof) in any way that we want and in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. You hereby waive any moral rights you may have in your User Content.
We are not obligated to publish or use your User Content. The Lawyers' Committee is not in any manner endorsing any User Content that it may publish or post on the Services and cannot, and will not, vouch for its reliability. We do not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any User Content. Please do not send us any confidential or proprietary information or material.
The Lawyers' Committee is not responsible for any User Content and has no duty to monitor the User Content posted on the Services. You use any information contained in User Content at your own risk. The Lawyers' Committee and its designees have the right, in their sole discretion, to monitor, review, edit, remove, delete, disable, refuse, restrict, or terminate access to your User Content or the Services (in whole or in part) at any time, without prior notice and in our sole discretion, for any or no reason.
V. Payments to the Lawyers' Committee
All payments to the Lawyers' Committee--including donations and purchases of merchandise--shall be made by credit card or by mailing a check to our office made payable to the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. All payments are subject to the approval of the financial institution issuing the check or credit card. Payments are not binding on the Lawyers' Committee until such approval is received. The Lawyers' Committee shall not be liable in any way if any financial institution refuses to accept or honor your check or credit card for any reason.
Each time you make a payment you agree that the Lawyers' Committee is authorized to charge your designated account for the applicable amount.
Information relating to your financial transactions will not be maintained on the Lawyers' Committee servers. Financial transactions related to your purchases from the Lawyers' Committee are handled by VeriSign Inc./PayPal (http://www.verisign.com/), Salsa (http://www.salsalabs.com/), and Blackbaud (https://www.blackbaud.com/). Please visit those organizations' websites to learn more about their terms and conditions and privacy policies.
VI. Prohibited Conduct
You may not access or use, or attempt to access or use, the Services to take any action that could harm us or any third party, interfere with the operation of the Services, or use the Services in a manner that violates any laws. For example, and without limitation, you may not:
- Impersonate any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with any person or entity or the origin of any information you provide;
- Engage in unauthorized spidering, scraping, or harvesting of content or information, or use any other unauthorized automated means to compile information;
- Obtain or attempt to gain unauthorized access to other computer systems, materials, information or any services available on or through the Services;
- Use any device, software, or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Service or any activity conducted on the Service or attempt to probe, scan, test the vulnerability of, or breach the security of any system or network;
- Circumvent, reverse engineer, decipher, decompile, disassemble, decrypt, or otherwise alter or interfere with (or attempt, encourage, or support anyone else's attempt to engage in such activities) any of the software comprising or in any way making up a part of the Services. The use or distribution of tools designed for compromising security (e.g., password guessing programs, cracking tools or network probing tools) is strictly prohibited;
- Take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our network or infrastructure;
- Upload or otherwise transmit any communication, software, or material that contains a virus or is otherwise harmful to Lawyers' Committee's or its users' computers or systems; or
- Engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits any person from using or enjoying the Services, or that, in our sole judgment, exposes us or any of our users, affiliates, or any other third party to any liability, damages, or detriment of any type.
Violations of system or network security and certain other conduct may result in civil or criminal liability. We may investigate and work with law enforcement authorities to prosecute users who violate the Terms. We may suspend or terminate your access to the Services for any or no reason at any time without notice.
VII. Eligibility & Registration
You may be asked to register for certain activities in connection with the Services by creating a user profile. This registration may allow you to access certain content on the Services. When you register, you agree to provide accurate, current and complete information about yourself as requested or directed on the Services and to promptly update this information to maintain its accuracy. The Lawyers' Committee has the right to suspend or terminate any account or other registration and to refuse any and all current or future use of the Services if it suspects that such information is inaccurate or incomplete. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of any password and username that you are given or select in connection with the Services, and you are responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account.
VIII. Notice of Infringement
We respect intellectual property rights. If you believe in good faith that your work has been reproduced or is accessible on the Services in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide our designated agent with the following information in writing:
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- Identification of the copyrighted work or a representative list of the works claimed to have beeninfringed;
- Identification of the allegedly infringing material and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- Your name, address, telephone number, and emailaddress, so that we may contact you if necessary;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or thelaw; and
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner'sbehalf.
The Lawyers' Committee designated agent for notice of claims of copyright is:
Stacie B. Royster
Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
1401 New York Avenue, NW, Suite 400
Washington, D.C. 20005
Office Phone: 202-662-8600
IX. Disclaimer of Warranties
YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT THE OPERATION OF THE SERVICES OR THE INFORMATION, MATERIALS, GOODS, OR SERVICES APPEARING OR OFFERED ON THE SERVICES, ALL OF WHICH ARE PROVIDED "AS IS." THE SITE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IS PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THE LAWYERS' COMMITTEE DOES NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, COMPLETENESS, AVAILABILITY, SECURITY, COMPATIBILITY OR NONINFRINGEMENT; OR THAT THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, FREE OF VIRUSES AND OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, ACCURATE, ERROR FREE, OR RELIABLE.
X. Limitation of Liability
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, WILL THE LAWYERS' COMMITTEE, its affiliates, or any party involved in creating, producing, or delivering the SERVICES BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OR LOSSES INCLUDING direct, incidental, consequential, indirect, special, or punitive damages AND LOST PROFITS arising out of your access, use, misuse, or inability to use the services, WEBSITE content, USER CONTENT, or any Sites LINKED FROM THE SERVICES, HOWEVER CAUSED, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF THE LAWYERS' COMMITTEE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, or in connection with any failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, defect, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus, or line or system failure. THE LAWYERS' COMMITTEE makes no representation that the Services are appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. Because some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, THE LAWYERS' COMMITTEE'S liability in such jurisdictions shall be limited to the extent permitted by law. IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THE SERVICES, YOUR SOLE REMEDY IS TO STOP USING THE SERVICES.
You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Lawyers' Committee and its affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, successors, officers, directors, employees, contractors, services providers, and agents from and against any and all demands, claims, damages, liabilities, judgments, losses, costs, expenses and harms, including reasonable attorneys' fees, arising in connection with your use of the Services (including, without limitation, your User Content), online conduct, any violation of these Terms, or dealings or transactions with other persons resulting from use of the Services.
XIII. Separate Terms and Conditions
In connection with your use of the Services, you may be asked to consent to policies or terms and conditions in addition to these Terms. Please read these supplemental policies and terms carefully before making any use of such portions of the Services. Any supplemental terms will not vary or replace these Terms regarding any use of the Services, unless otherwise expressly stated.
XV. Integration & Severability
These Terms constitute the entire agreement between the Lawyers' Committee and you, superseding any prior or contemporaneous communications and proposals (whether oral, written or electronic) between you and us. In the event any provision of these Terms is held unenforceable, it will not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions and will be replaced by an enforceable provision that comes closest to the intention underlying the unenforceable provision.
XVI. No Waiver
Our failure to enforce any provisions of the Terms or respond to a breach by you or other parties shall not in any way waive our right to enforce subsequently any terms or conditions of the Terms or to act with respect to similar breaches.
XVII. Location & Governing Law
These Terms are governed by, and must be construed in accordance with, the laws of the United States and the District of Columbia, as applicable, without giving effect to their principles of conflicts of law. By using the Services, you waive any claims that may arise under the laws of other countries or territories.
XVIII. Contact Us